• Need a Custom Printed Order?Inquire

Canada aims to ban single-use plastics by 2021 - and we are thrilled!

June 13, 2019

Canada aims to ban single-use plastics by 2021 -  and we are thrilled!

In an effort to reduce the whopping 3 million tonnes of plastic waste disposed of by our country each year; just this week, the liberal government announced their plan to ban all harmful single-use plastics as early as 2021.

For many (us included), this is the news we’ve been waiting to hear for quite some time, and we couldn’t be happier to hear that this is finally happening!

 

What is driving the single-use plastics ban in Canada?

Well for one, we as a country are only recycling approximately 10% of plastic waste as it is. What happens to the other 90%? Ever since China stopped importing plastic recycling last year this means that all the waste stays in Canada ends up in our landfills to sit and rot for hundreds of years. It also ends up in our rivers, lakes, and oceans, parks and forests, farmlands and basically anywhere else it shouldn’t be.   

 

According to the Canadian government, 57 million plastic straws and 15 billion plastic bags get tossed out each day. And, these are the items that the general public has an awareness about - what about all those single-use plastics we forget are just as damaging to the environment that get carelessly tossed out right after use? Where are they going?

 

“Canadians know first-hand the impacts of plastic pollution, and are tired of seeing their beaches, parks, streets, and shorelines littered with plastic waste,”  Trudeau said in a statement. “We owe it to our kids to keep the environment clean and safe for generations to come.”

 

This is of course, not just a Canada-specific problem. Plastic waste is a global issue, and one that is now finally being taken seriously on a global scale by our world leaders. Recently in March,560 members of the European Parliament voted in favour of the agreement with EU ministers that  single-use plastic cutlery, cotton buds, straws and stirrers to be banned by 2021. They also agreed to a 90% collection target for plastic bottles by 2029, and more stringent application of the “polluter pays” principle.

 

What will the single-use plastic ban in Canada cover?

As an example, the ban could include all plastic fast-food containers, cutlery, plates, drink stirrers, cups, and even cotton swabs and balloons.  The official list has yet to be released by the Canadian government, but we know that restaurants, cafes, grocers and many others in the food service/sales industry are already preparing for the change -  because they’re reaching out to us and using our biodegradable, eco-friendly single use plastic products.

If you are ready to start preparing your business for the plastics ban, we are here to help you!  We have amazing alternatives to the most commonly used single-use plastic disposables used in food service including biodegradable cups, straws, cutlery, plates, and plastic containers. 


Join the Eco-Friendly Community